Freedom Fields Hospital was a city hospital until it closed in 1998, though its responsibilities had been slowly reduced since 1982. The building served the community's medical needs in many capacities over its history. The former site of the hospital is now largely a residential area.

History

The hospital was first opened as a workhouse in 1858, on a site to the east of the junction of Longfield Place and Greenbank Road[1] and was enlarged steadily until 1909. Like other workhouses, it was changed into a hospital in 1930 and became known as the 'Plymouth City Hospital'. When the National Health Service was established in 1951 it was renamed 'Freedom Fields Hospital'. Further extension and improvements to the building took place, with the addition of several new sections, including a pharmacy and an intensive care unit.

The building suffered significant damage during World War II. It was bombed several times during attacks on the areas surrounding Plymouth Sound. Several nurses, doctors, and patients (including 19 infants in 1940)[2] were killed over the course of these bombings.

Medical Sites
Medical Sites
Detail
Medical Sites
Medical Sites
Detail
Medical Sites
Medical Sites
Detail
Medical Sites
Medical Sites
Detail
Medical Sites
Medical Sites
Detail
Medical Sites
Medical Sites
Detail
Medical Sites
Medical Sites
Detail
Medical Sites
Medical Sites
Detail
Medical Sites
Medical Sites
Detail
Medical Sites
Medical Sites
Detail
Medical Sites
Medical Sites
Detail
Medical Sites
Medical Sites
Detail
Medical Sites
Medical Sites
Detail
Medical Sites
Medical Sites
Detail
Medical Sites
Medical Sites
Detail
Medical Sites
Medical Sites
Detail
Medical Sites
Medical Sites
Detail
Medical Sites
Medical Sites
Detail
Medical Sites
Medical Sites
Detail
Medical Sites
Medical Sites
Detail
 
 
Powered by Phoca Gallery