Grenville Battery was built within the much earlier Maker Heights Redoubt No.4 of 1782. Referred to in conjunction with the nearby Maker Battery as 'No.4 Redoubt and Maker Battery' its armament was two 12.5-inch RMLs. The battery was proposed in 1885 and completed in 1887. To the rear of the battery is a shallow dry ditch and the entrance is accessed over a small drawbridge. The battery had a cookhouse presumably for the complement of men that manned it and the nearby Maker Battery.
 
In 1890 the two 12.5-inch R.M.L.s were moved and remounted in Maker Battery. In 1899 Grenville Battery was remodelled for three 4.7-inch QF guns. These were in place by 1901 and remained until 1927. The battery was abandoned by the M.O.D. in 1948.
The QF positions remain with their ammunition stores beneath. The cookhouse is derelict.
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
 
 
Powered by Phoca Gallery