Maker Heights Battery was built to cover Cawsand Bay and the Western approaches to the Sound on the recommendations of the Stanhope Committee Report (1887) on the modernisation of the defences on the Major Harbours of the UK. Often referred to in conjunction with the nearby Grenville Battery, Maker Battery was first armed with a single 12.5-inch RML. to supplement the two in Grenville Battery. In 1890 the two RMLs in Grenville were remounted in two new emplacements at the Western end of Maker Battery giving it an armament of three 12.5-inch RMLs. Four 40pr RBLS referred to as being mounted in 'Maker Position' may have been stored in an artillery shed on the site in 1893. The battery was surrounded with an unclimbable fence. An armament return of 1895 shows a proposal to mount two 9.2-inch B.L. guns in Maker Battery with 3 x 4.7-inch Q.F.s in the nearby Grenville Battery. In the early 1900s the two Eastern emplacements were replaced with two to mount 6-inch MkVII B.L.s. They were in place by 1903 and were removed by 1911.
 
The 6-inch positions still remain with associated underground ammunition stores, hoists and shelters. Some are now filled with rubbish. The western most 12.5-inch RML position retains its drum and racer tracks with toothed traversing arc. Four DRF positions also survive.
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
Military Sites
Military Sites
Detail
 
 
Powered by Phoca Gallery