Yelverton was the junction for the Princetown Railway that opened on 11 August 1883, however no station could be built as the railway could not secure an access route to the site, and so trains initially continued to Horrabridge. Agreement with the land owner was reached and a station provided at Yelverton from 1 May 1885.

The Tavistock line was provided with two platforms. The Princetown line had a connection facing Tavistock and the platform on this line was sharply curved and a five-sided waiting room was provided between the platforms. A 23 feet 6 inch (7m) turntable was provided at the Princetown end of the platform. As there was no loop on the branch trains were reversed out of the platform after passengers had alighted, the locomotive then ran into the turntable siding and the carriages left to run back into the platform by gravity, after which the locomotive could be attached to the Princetown end for the next journey.

The Princetown line closed on 5 March 1956 but the station was retained until the Tavistock line itself was closed on [31 December] 1962.

The 641 yard long (586m) Yelverton Tunnel was just north of the platforms and was the summit of the Tavistock line.

Tunnels
Tunnels
Detail
Tunnels
Tunnels
Detail
Tunnels
Tunnels
Detail
Tunnels
Tunnels
Detail
Tunnels
Tunnels
Detail
Tunnels
Tunnels
Detail
Tunnels
Tunnels
Detail
Tunnels
Tunnels
Detail
Tunnels
Tunnels
Detail
Tunnels
Tunnels
Detail
Tunnels
Tunnels
Detail
Tunnels
Tunnels
Detail
 
 
Powered by Phoca Gallery